RDC Recruiting Work
RN Pathway #2 - Graduates of Nursing Schools in other States or U.S. Territories
These instructions apply to applicants for licensure as a RN who:
- have never been licensed as an RN; and,
- graduated from a nursing education program that was license qualifying for RN in another state or U.S. territory. (U.S. Territories include Puerto Rico, U. S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and Northern Mariana Islands).
STEP 1: COMPLETE NEW YORK STATE'S REQUIRED COURSEWORK.
You must complete a NYSED Approved Infection Control Course and a Child Abuse Identification and Reporting Course from an approved provider or qualify for an exemption.
You must pay the $143 license and first registration fee by credit card.
If you started filling out Online Form 1 within the past 30 days, you can continue filling it out by using this link. You will need your Application ID, social security number, and date of birth to access your application. If you already completed Online Form 1 and want to upload additional documentation to your application use this link. You will need your Application ID, and date of birth to access your application.
- LIMITED PERMIT OPTION. If you have not taken the NCLEX-RN, you may apply for a limited permit using a Application for a Limited Permit (Form 5). Complete Section I and then ask your prospective employer to complete Section II. Mail the completed form with the $35 fee to the Office of the Professions at the address at the end of the form.
STEP 3: HAVE YOUR NURSING SCHOOL VERIFY YOUR NURSING EDUCATION.
- Complete Section I of a Certification of Professional Education (Form 2) and send it to your nursing school and ask that they complete Section II. Your school must verify your nursing education on Form 2 and then send it directly to NYSED. Form 2 must be signed by the registrar or accompanied by a transcript signed by the registrar.
STEP 4: PASS THE NCLEX-RN.
Register directly with Pearson VUE to take the NCLEX-RN at www.pearsonvue.com/nclex/ or by calling Pearson VUE at 1-866-496-2539. If you have a disability and are seeking a reasonable accommodation to take the NCLEX-RN, submit a completed Request for Reasonable Testing Accommodations Form to NYSED. To retake the NCLEX-RN, you must reregister with Pearson VUE.
ADDITIONAL STEP IF YOU BEEN LICENSED AS AN LPN OR LVN IN ANOTHER STATE OR U.S. TERRITORY:
- If you have been licensed as an LPN or LVN in another state or a U.S. Territory, you must arrange to have information verifying your license(s) provided to the NYSED. There are two methods for verifying your LPN or LVN license:
- Nursys®: NYSED participates in Nursys® (an online service), to verify an applicant’s LPN or LVN licenses from most other U.S. states. If you were licensed as an LPN or LVN in a state that participates in Nursys®, use the Nursys® service to verify your nursing license to the NYSED. To find out whether your state participates in Nursys, visit: www.nursys.com. To sign-up for Nursys®, visit www.nursys.com After you sign up and pay the fee, Nursys® will provide verification of your nursing license directly to the NYSED.
Form 3: If have been licensed as an LPN or LVN in a state or U.S. Territory that does not participate in Nursys®, Complete Section I of a Verification of Other Professional Licensure/Certification (Form 3) and send it to the licensing authority that granted you your nursing license and ask that they complete Section II. The licensing authority will verify your nursing license on Form 3 or a similar document and send it to the NYSED.